Monday, May 14, 2007

2x7" Grinderman (I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free - Ltd Edition



Limited Edition One Sided 7" Single.
Number: #1641 and #1639 (of 3000 copies)
1. (I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free (Edit)

---

The third single release by Grinderman taken from their critically acclaimed album, this special one-sided limited edition single, (I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free, is available on 7" and download.

Written by Grinderman, (I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free was produced by Nick Launay, recorded at RAK Studios in April 2006 and mixed at Metropolis Studios.

Below Grinderman discuss (I Don't Need You To) Set Me Free from their self-titled debut album.

"I was trying to find a way into what I wanted the lyrics to be concerned with," says Cave. "I was listening to John Lee Hooker and I heard these lines buried deep in one of his songs:

I went down to my baby's house
And I sat down on the step

"And in that instant, I knew I'd found a way in, you know, to the album. That's all you need, a way in. Lyrically, the whole album rests on those two lines," says Cave.

"How does that relate to Set Me Free?" asks Sclavunos.

"Well, the protagonist in Set Me Free is disconnected from things whilst his 'other' has left him in order to engage in the world," explains Cave. "The protagonist no longer has a "witness", he is alone, and left to metaphorically "sit down on the step".

"Oh," says Jim.

"The drums and bass are copasetic," says Warren. "That applies to the whole record. The rhythm section is really solid and provides a lot of freedom for the other instruments to roam."

"If I remember rightly, attention was paid to keep the songs short and direct as possible; most of them come in under three and a half minutes", says Casey.

"One needed to get to the nub of things... fast," says Cave.

No comments: